Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is celebrating Earth Day on April 22nd with a series of events leading up to the special Saturday. Headlining the festivities will be former Penn Highlands’ student Erik Vogel of Reptile Encounters on Thursday evening at 6:30pm. He, and Reptile Encounters, will be “bringing the wild” right to the College’s Richland Campus with snakes, iguanas, tortoises, and a 6’ alligator.
Family members young and old will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with amazing animals, all while learning about the impact conservation has on our world. It will be an exciting learning experience for all ages.
All events will be held at the College’s Richland Campus (101 Community College Way in Johnstown). Currently scheduled events include:
WEDNESDAY, APRIL 19
- 9:30am – Yoga: Take a deep breath before finals week to appreciate the natural world through yoga. Join instructor Elizabeth Hunsberger for Sun Salutation. All are welcome; no prior yoga knowledge needed. If possible, please wear comfortable clothes and bring a mat.
- 12:30pm – Geocaching: It has been a long winter, so let us get outside for a GPS based scavenger hunt lead by Jill Mitchell. You will have a chance to win prizes. A smartphone or GPS device recommended.
- 1:30pm – Nature Literature Reading: Join us in the Courtyard to read or just listen to some fantastic literary works celebrating nature. Works include poems, selections from works of fiction, or selections from works of non-fiction, especially those of Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau’s Walden. Not sure what to read? No problem—we will be happy to help you find a work to read! For details, contact Dr. Russ Newman at 814.262.6419 or email@example.com.
- 2:30pm – Airing of A River Runs Through It: Enjoy a great movie with plenty of beautiful scenery, love, drama, and fly-fishing. Watch young Brad Pitt and Craig Sheffer learn about life and fly-fishing.
THURSDAY, APRIL 20
- 10am to 1pm – Chalk Walk: Come and show your artistic talent by creating your version of an Earth Day poster on the sidewalk at the East Hills Recreation entrance. Help us turn the sidewalk into a burst of colors in beautiful Earth Day scenes… the more, the merrier! Posters will be judged from 1pm to 3pm with prizes awarded to the winners. Chalk will be provided.
- 12:30 to 2pm – Campus Clean Up: Join the facilities team outside for a campus clean up. Mulching and weeding of the flower beds will help get the College in shape for spring. Did you know that dirt may help with concentration! Now is the time to play in the dirt before finals!
- 6:30pm – Reptile Encounters: Join Erik Vogel to get up close and personal with amazing animals while learning about conservation around the world. This is a great show for all ages.
Further details can be obtained by contacting Pennsylvania Highlands Student Activities at 814.262.6463 or firstname.lastname@example.org.