Pennsylvania Highlands Community College is celebrating the fall season by planning several free events open to the public, including students, faculty, and staff, and members of the community. The events will be hosted at the Penn Highlands Richland Campus at 101 Community College Way, and include the following:
- Monday, October 27, from 6pm to 7:30pm: A community trick or treat will be held throughout the Richland Campus for children 12 and under. This will be combined with fall games and crafts for the children, and a haunted house.
- Tuesday, October 28 at 12:30pm to 2pm: In the LGI, speaker Stan Gordon will present a seminar on the topic of “Past & Present Mysterious Encounters of Pennsylvania”. Gordon has been involved with the investigation of thousands of mysterious encounters from across Pennsylvania. He has appeared on numerous local and network TV news and documentary shows, including the Syfy Channel, Discovery Channel, History Channel, and Fox News Channel. He has been featured on many television shows, including Unsolved Mysteries, Sightings, Inside Edition, A Current Affair, and Creepy Canada.
- Wednesday, October 29, from Noon to 2pm: In the LGI, a film maker Blair Murphy will show his award winning film “Zombie Dream” starring Eric Roberts (Julia Roberts’ brother), Marvel Comic’s Stan Lee, and an outstanding local cast. The film just won “Best Performance by an Ensemble Cast” at the Los Angeles Fear + Fantasy Film Festival in Burbank, California. It has been seen by thousands across the country. The movie was filmed over three year period at several locations, including in Cambria and Somerset counties. After the movie, Blair and some of the local actors will have a question and answer session. Interested in making your own movie? Don’t miss this! Blair also has a vampire movie called Jugular Wine from the 1990s available in Blockbuster stores. Some scenes in both movies may not be appropriate for a younger audience, viewer discretion advised.
- Thursday, October 30, from 12:30pm to 2pm: Held in the Cyber Lounge, a themed murder mystery, “A Spooky Hollow Horror” will occur. The grand celebration of the new owner has been overshadowed by the spine-chilling murder of one of the guests. Since everyone is a suspect, this ghoulish gang is out for an afternoon of fright and horror! All guests will have fun playing their unique characters and investigating this unpredictable outcome. Contact Jake Goch to register at 814.262.6486 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Friday, October 31, from 12:30pm to 2pm: Held in the Cyber Lounge, a reading of select works by Edgar Allen Poe will be done by students. Works include “The Raven”, “The Cask of Amontillado”, and others. Come and join us for an afternoon of eerie literary fun listening to some of Poe’s psychological thrillers! For die hard Poe fans, feel free to come dressed in your best 1840s period attire.